Five Ways to Keep Your Personal Injury Money Safe in Divorce

In Utah, the general rule is that personal injury awards are separate (i.e., non-marital) property. That means you get to keep 100% in the divorce, instead of splitting it with your spouse.

The reason for this is pretty simple: your spouse didn’t contribute to your injury (hopefully), so he or she isn’t entitled to the money you get for your injury.

And while that general rule is pretty clear, you can mess it up and turn your personal injury money from separate to marital property pretty easily.

Here are the top five ways to keep that from happening.

  1. Make sure you’re the only one on your personal injury award check.

Do not let your personal injury attorney cut a check to you and your wife. Only to you.

  1. Put your personal injury money in a separate account only you can access.

Yes, I know, this seems odd, what being married and all, but it’s really, really important. If you put this money in a joint account, the money becomes comingled. Then, when it comes time to divorce and you try to convince a judge that money is yours and yours alone, you’re going to be sorely disappointed.

(Note: most of the time I tell people to put personal injury awards in an investment account or a bank account in an institution completely different than any your spouse has ever used. Be safe.)

  1. Don’t use the money on family stuff.

If you use your money on trips to Disneyland or family cars, there is an argument the money has become marital. Now, if you have the money in a separate account, the money still in the account will probably stay non-marital, but, again, why take the chance?

  1. If you buy stuff with your personal injury award, make sure you’re the only one on the title.

Names on titles doesn’t usually mean much in Utah divorces. The one serious exception is when something is purchased with non-marital money and the spouse is not on the title. So, if you buy a rental property with your money, don’t put your spouse on the title or mortgage, and keep the rental income segregated (segregate everything), then it’s very unlikely a judge will see that rental property as martial property.

  1. Hire a good divorce attorney.

I’ve seen cases involving personal injury money that should never have been shared in the divorce. The reason it was shared: the attorney didn’t know any better and let the client cave when the spouse got aggressive and said he or she would come after the award. A knowledgeable attorney will know how to handle that situation.

Published On: December 13th, 2016Categories: Division of PropertyComments Off on Five Ways to Keep Your Personal Injury Money Safe in Divorce
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!
About the Author: Marco Brown
Marco C. Brown was named Utah’s Outstanding Family Law Lawyer of the Year in 2015. He graduated with distinction from the University of Nebraska College of Law in 2007 and is currently the managing partner of Brown Family Law, LLC.
Contact Us – We Are Here to Help You

Schedule a time to talk with us – we are here to help you. When you meet with your attorney, we will go over your entire case, your children, your money and everything else that’s important to you. Our goal is to remove the fear associated with divorce by protecting your money and maximizing your time with your kids, all within 3-6 months. We look forward to meeting with you!

Call us 24/7 at 801-685-9999 to Speak with a Live Representative
Get A Legal Consultation With An Experienced Utah Attorney
Your privacy is 100% guaranteed, your information will never be sold or shared.

While this website provides general information, it does not constitute divorce advice. The best way to get guidance on your specific divorce issue is to contact a lawyer. To schedule a divorce consultation with an attorney, please call or complete the intake form above.

The use of the Internet (or this form) for communication with the firm (or any individual member of the firm) does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.