Can I Be Made To Sell My House In A Divorce? How Can I Prevent It?

Can I Be Made To Sell My House In A Divorce? How Can I Prevent It?

The courts can order you to sell your house if:

  1. One spouse does not have enough money to buy out the other spouse’s share in the property.
  2. Both spouses are not in agreement about the property’s market value. In such a case, the only way out for the courts is to order the couple to sell the house at the market price and split the sale proceeds in the ratio awarded by the courts.
  3. The case is a high-conflict one and neither spouse agrees with the other spouse’s demands or requests.

In a divorce, property division is based on state laws. States follow either the community property distribution rule or the equitable property distribution rule. Usually, the property is distributed on a 50/50 basis.

A house purchased during the marriage by either spouse or both the spouses may form a substantial part of the marital property, and there may be disagreements about its distribution. Some spouses may disagree on the property valuation, some spouses may not have sufficient liquidity to buy out the other spouse’s share in the property, while some spouses may allow the other spouse to stay in the house while agreeing to sell it at a later date, and so on – it all depends on the circumstances of the case and the relationship between the divorcing spouses.

Here are some alternatives both spouses can consider before the courts order them to sell the house. However, note that these alternatives will work only if both spouses share a cordial relationship and are emotionally mature.

4 Alternatives That Can Avert Your Home Sale

1. Offer Other Valuable Assets

If you don’t have adequate liquidity to buy out the other spouse’s share, or if you don’t want to sell the house now (for whatever reason), you can offer other valuable assets to your spouse that make up his/her share of the property. This alternative will work only if the other spouse agrees to accept this deal.

2. Defer The Sale

Assuming both spouses are friendly and cooperative, you can consider temporarily delaying the sale of the house and enter into an agreement with the other spouse that specifies:

(a)    How will mortgage payments be made?

(b)   Which parent will occupy the house?

(c)    Will the children also stay in the house?

If the other spouse is uncooperative, and if there is no option left with you but to defer the sale (for example, because the children have a year or two to finish their schooling), you can file for a deferred sale order. However, you will have to prove that the deferment is in the best interests of the children and that it does not place any financial hardship on the other spouse or the custodial parent.

Both spouses will continue to co-own the house until it is sold.

3. Refinance The Mortgage

If you do not have adequate funds to buy out and pay the other spouse’s share, you can consider refinancing your mortgage or adding a Home Equity Line of Credit (HELOC) to your existing mortgage to pay off the other spouse.

4. Divide The House

If your house is big enough, and both you and your spouse are calm and friendly towards each other, you can consider dividing the house into 2 separate units instead of selling it or taking any financial burden. This is not a recommended ongoing situation, however, because do people really want to live right next to their ex?

Finally, before signing off, if the courts make you sell your house, don’t forget to consult your accountant to figure out if you qualify for a tax exclusion.

Published On: September 1st, 2022Categories: Division of PropertyComments Off on Can I Be Made To Sell My House In A Divorce? How Can I Prevent It?
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!
About the Author: Marco Brown
Marco C. Brown was named Utah’s Outstanding Family Law Lawyer of the Year in 2015. He graduated with distinction from the University of Nebraska College of Law in 2007 and is currently the managing partner of Brown Family Law, LLC.
Contact Us – We Are Here to Help You

Schedule a time to talk with us – we are here to help you. When you meet with your attorney, we will go over your entire case, your children, your money and everything else that’s important to you. Our goal is to remove the fear associated with divorce by protecting your money and maximizing your time with your kids, all within 3-6 months. We look forward to meeting with you!

Call us 24/7 at 801-685-9999 to Speak with a Live Representative
Get A Legal Consultation With An Experienced Utah Attorney
Your privacy is 100% guaranteed, your information will never be sold or shared.

While this website provides general information, it does not constitute divorce advice. The best way to get guidance on your specific divorce issue is to contact a lawyer. To schedule a divorce consultation with an attorney, please call or complete the intake form above.

The use of the Internet (or this form) for communication with the firm (or any individual member of the firm) does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.