Can I Withhold Visitation if my Ex Doesn’t Pay Child Support?

Imagine the scene. You’re a mom with two children. Your husband left you two months ago and hasn’t payed child support. He won’t pay for anything, but he still wants to have time with his kids.

Your first thought, because it’s everyone’s first thought, is to keep the kids from him until he pays. This makes total sense: he has the responsibility to provide for his kids; and, if he doesn’t, he doesn’t get the privilege of seeing his kids.

Sometimes, there’s what makes sense, and then there’s what’s legal.

You can’t, I repeat can’t, withhold parent-time (i.e., visitation) from your ex because he or she won’t pay child support.

Child support and visitation are two unrelated things in the law. This means if someone doesn’t pay child support, you can’t keep them from parent-time. It also means if someone withholds parent-time, you still owe child support. Legally, one does not depend on the other.

Beyond the legal reasons, there are also some practical reasons why you shouldn’t withhold parent-time:

  1. You would be using your kids as pawns in a battle between you and your ex.

That’s not fair or good for your kids, and it will damage them.

  1. You don’t want to screw up your custody case when you divorce or file for child custody.

Judges hate it when people withhold kids to get child support out of their ex. And I mean hate it. If you are the one taking care of the kids, and your ex isn’t paying child support, you have the moral high ground when you divorce and ask for custody. Don’t give up that high ground. It’s not worth it in the end.

  1. It leads to an ever-escalating fight.

If you refuse to give the kids, your ex will find new and creative ways to make your life hell. You’ll then retaliate, and so will your ex. It will keep getting worse and worse. 

Please, don’t withhold parent-time

Just don’t refuse parent-time. There are other, much more productive, ways to address the problem of your ex not paying child support.

Published On: January 20th, 2016Categories: VisitationComments Off on Can I Withhold Visitation if my Ex Doesn’t Pay Child Support?
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!
About the Author: Marco Brown
Marco C. Brown was named Utah’s Outstanding Family Law Lawyer of the Year in 2015. He graduated with distinction from the University of Nebraska College of Law in 2007 and is currently the managing partner of Brown Family Law, LLC.
Contact Us – We Are Here to Help You

Schedule a time to talk with us – we are here to help you. When you meet with your attorney, we will go over your entire case, your children, your money and everything else that’s important to you. Our goal is to remove the fear associated with divorce by protecting your money and maximizing your time with your kids, all within 3-6 months. We look forward to meeting with you!

Call us 24/7 at 801-685-9999 to Speak with a Live Representative
Get A Legal Consultation With An Experienced Utah Attorney
Your privacy is 100% guaranteed, your information will never be sold or shared.

While this website provides general information, it does not constitute divorce advice. The best way to get guidance on your specific divorce issue is to contact a lawyer. To schedule a divorce consultation with an attorney, please call or complete the intake form above.

The use of the Internet (or this form) for communication with the firm (or any individual member of the firm) does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.