Can My Attacker/Abuser be Charged Criminally?

If you’ve been the victim of domestic violence, you have a couple options.

First, you can file for a protective order. A protective order is a civil remedy and essentially tells your abuser he or she cannot hurt you, communicate with you, or come near you. If he or she violates the order, there may be jail involved.

Second, you can call the police and have your attacker/abuser arrested. If you call the police and the investigate and find proof of the attack, they will very likely arrest your attacker. The prosecuting attorney would then look at the evidence from the police and decide to charge your abuser with battery, domestic violence, aggravated assault, or a similar crime.

If the domestic violence took place near the children, your attacker could also be charged with the additional crime of domestic violence in the presence of children.

These crimes range from misdemeanors with relatively light jail sentences to felonies with potentially long prison sentences.

Domestic violence is no joke, and your attacker can certainly be charged criminally for the violence you’ve been subjected to.

If you find yourself in a domestic violence situation, please, pick option the second option. Call the cops. Protect yourself and your kids.

Published On: May 24th, 2017Categories: Domestic ViolenceComments Off on Can My Attacker/Abuser be Charged Criminally?
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!
About the Author: Marco Brown
Marco C. Brown was named Utah’s Outstanding Family Law Lawyer of the Year in 2015. He graduated with distinction from the University of Nebraska College of Law in 2007 and is currently the managing partner of Brown Family Law, LLC.
Contact Us – We Are Here to Help You

Schedule a time to talk with us – we are here to help you. When you meet with your attorney, we will go over your entire case, your children, your money and everything else that’s important to you. Our goal is to remove the fear associated with divorce by protecting your money and maximizing your time with your kids, all within 3-6 months. We look forward to meeting with you!

Call us 24/7 at 801-685-9999 to Speak with a Live Representative
Get A Legal Consultation With An Experienced Utah Attorney
Your privacy is 100% guaranteed, your information will never be sold or shared.

While this website provides general information, it does not constitute divorce advice. The best way to get guidance on your specific divorce issue is to contact a lawyer. To schedule a divorce consultation with an attorney, please call or complete the intake form above.

The use of the Internet (or this form) for communication with the firm (or any individual member of the firm) does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.