Changing A Utah Custody Order

Situations arise and circumstances sometimes change long after a child custody order has been issued by the court as part of a divorce decree. When the situation has changed substantially, it may be necessary for one or both parents affected by a custody order to seek a change.

Courts recognize that life circumstances can change, thus necessitating the ability of a parent to seek a modification of an earlier order. If the original child custody order was issued by a court in Utah, people may file a motion to modify the child custody order by filing a motion with that court. Generally, the original issuing court will retain jurisdiction over the matter.

If the requested modification is uncontested, the parents may file a stipulated motion with the court together. Courts generally will approve such stipulations as long as they are in the child’s best interests. If one parent wishes to modify custody and the other has an objection, the parent wishing the change may file a motion to modify with the court. He or she will then need to serve the motion, along with a summons and notice of the scheduled return date, on the other parent. An affidavit of service must then be filed with the court. This gives the other parent an opportunity to respond to the modification motion.

While it is sometimes possible for parents to amicably arrive at a new custody agreement when a change is needed, this is not always the case. If it is contested, the court will hear evidence as presented from both parents regarding the reasons for the requested custody modification. If the court finds that the change is in the child’s best interests, the judge will then modify the child custody order. Until and unless an order is modified, parents must follow the existing order as it stands.

Source: Women’s Law, “If a custody order is already in place, how can I get it changed?“, December 29, 2014

Published On: December 30th, 2014Categories: Child Custody, ModificationComments Off on Changing A Utah Custody Order
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!
About the Author: Marco Brown
Marco C. Brown was named Utah’s Outstanding Family Law Lawyer of the Year in 2015. He graduated with distinction from the University of Nebraska College of Law in 2007 and is currently the managing partner of Brown Family Law, LLC.
Contact Us – We Are Here to Help You

Schedule a time to talk with us – we are here to help you. When you meet with your attorney, we will go over your entire case, your children, your money and everything else that’s important to you. Our goal is to remove the fear associated with divorce by protecting your money and maximizing your time with your kids, all within 3-6 months. We look forward to meeting with you!

Call us 24/7 at 801-685-9999 to Speak with a Live Representative
Get A Legal Consultation With An Experienced Utah Attorney
Your privacy is 100% guaranteed, your information will never be sold or shared.

While this website provides general information, it does not constitute divorce advice. The best way to get guidance on your specific divorce issue is to contact a lawyer. To schedule a divorce consultation with an attorney, please call or complete the intake form above.

The use of the Internet (or this form) for communication with the firm (or any individual member of the firm) does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.