Defaulting your Ex in Utah

You’ve filed your Utah divorce papers. Now, you’re waiting for the 21 days to pass to see if you can default your soon-to-be ex.

If you’re ex defaults, you get everything, but what do you do after the 21 days have passed?

First, you file a motion for default and default certificate. Second, when the court signs the default certificate, you file all of the other finalization documents (there are about 7-8) and wait for the judge to sign everything.

If the documents haven’t been signed after two weeks, call the judge’s clerk to check the status of the case and to see if you missed anything the judge needs before he or she can sign your divorce decree.

Final hint: file the finalization documents as quickly as you can so your ex can’t file an Answer and get the case out of default.

Call Brown Family Law

If you find yourself facing a Utah divorce or paternity situation, please call 801.685.9999 for an in-person consultation, or use our online scheduling tool.

Published On: September 11th, 2020Categories: Default DivorceComments Off on Defaulting your Ex in Utah
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!
About the Author: Marco Brown
Marco C. Brown was named Utah’s Outstanding Family Law Lawyer of the Year in 2015. He graduated with distinction from the University of Nebraska College of Law in 2007 and is currently the managing partner of Brown Family Law, LLC.
Contact Us – We Are Here to Help You

Schedule a time to talk with us – we are here to help you. When you meet with your attorney, we will go over your entire case, your children, your money and everything else that’s important to you. Our goal is to remove the fear associated with divorce by protecting your money and maximizing your time with your kids, all within 3-6 months. We look forward to meeting with you!

Call us 24/7 at 801-685-9999 to Speak with a Live Representative
Get A Legal Consultation With An Experienced Utah Attorney
Your privacy is 100% guaranteed, your information will never be sold or shared.

While this website provides general information, it does not constitute divorce advice. The best way to get guidance on your specific divorce issue is to contact a lawyer. To schedule a divorce consultation with an attorney, please call or complete the intake form above.

The use of the Internet (or this form) for communication with the firm (or any individual member of the firm) does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.