How Do We File for Taxes if We’re Separated but Still Married?

So, you’re taking a break from each other. In other words, you’re separated from your spouse.

Then April rolls around and (if you’re anything like me) you start thinking about filing taxes for the first time. And then the question comes: how do we file for taxes if we’re not living together?

Great question. You have a couple options.


First, you can file “married filing jointly.” This is what the vast majority of married couples do because it usually minimizes taxes and maximizes any returns you’ll receive.

Second, you can file “married filing separately.” This is the least popular option because you usually don’t get the same tax breaks as married filing jointly.

But, there are exceptions to this rule. Sometimes, one spouse runs up a huge tax debt during the year (for example, he takes too many deductions and has to pay the tax piper), and filing jointly will make the other spouse responsible for that payment.

Rule of Thumb

If there is a general rule-of-thumb of filing when separated, it’s this: file jointly.


That said, what you really should do is take your taxes to a CPA (accountant) and let the CPA tell you what your best options are. A good CPA will let you know what your taxes will look like under a number of scenarios. It will cost you some money, but it’s better to spend money on an expert than to make the wrong tax choice.

And Don’t Forget

If you get a tax return, don’t forget to have it split between the two of you. I can’t tell you how many times someone told me they prepared taxes while separated and the other spouse kept the entire return. If that happens, you usually won’t see that money again.

Make sure any return is split between the two of you (i.e., two checks are cut and sent to each of you separately), or that the return is placed in a joint account. When the return hits the joint account, take half (unless you’ve agreed otherwise). You’ll never get in trouble for taking half of marital money.

Published On: June 14th, 2016Categories: Financial PlanningComments Off on How Do We File for Taxes if We’re Separated but Still Married?
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!
About the Author: Marco Brown
Marco C. Brown was named Utah’s Outstanding Family Law Lawyer of the Year in 2015. He graduated with distinction from the University of Nebraska College of Law in 2007 and is currently the managing partner of Brown Family Law, LLC.
Contact Us – We Are Here to Help You

Schedule a time to talk with us – we are here to help you. When you meet with your attorney, we will go over your entire case, your children, your money and everything else that’s important to you. Our goal is to remove the fear associated with divorce by protecting your money and maximizing your time with your kids, all within 3-6 months. We look forward to meeting with you!

Call us 24/7 at 801-685-9999 to Speak with a Live Representative
Get A Legal Consultation With An Experienced Utah Attorney
Your privacy is 100% guaranteed, your information will never be sold or shared.

While this website provides general information, it does not constitute divorce advice. The best way to get guidance on your specific divorce issue is to contact a lawyer. To schedule a divorce consultation with an attorney, please call or complete the intake form above.

The use of the Internet (or this form) for communication with the firm (or any individual member of the firm) does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.