How to Get A Child Custody Agreement Modified

In Utah, depending on the terms of the situation, either parent may choose to file a petition to modify the custody agreement with the appropriate court. In order to proceed with the attempt to modify a custody agreement, one should make sure that the Utah court has the jurisdiction in order to grant a modification. For instance, if the agreement was made in another state, that state generally has jurisdiction over the Utah courts.

Other than assuring proper jurisdiction, the person in question must understand the type of custody they have. Physical custody refers to where the child lives, and legal custody defines which parent has the right to make important decisions for the child. If the parent in question does not have sole legal or sole physical custody, it is likely that they want to modify the court-

If the parent has joint legal and/or joint physical custody, it is possible that the parent filing for a modification wants sole custody over the other parent. Other forms of custody can include a combination of these agreements, or split custody, which could result in a more complicated modification petition.

Before petitioning to modify, many parents opt for an alternative dispute resolution, to settle outside of court. In order to do this, the petition to modify, along with the other required forms, must be submitted for judgment.

If the parents cannot settle their differences in ADR, they may choose to take the petition to court, to modify the custody agreement. The court must decide if there has been a material and substantial change to the circumstances from when the agreement was instated. If there has been, it is then up to the court to decide what would be best for the child.

For additional advice on having a child custody agreement modified, it may be beneficial to speak with an attorney before proceeding.

Published On: September 11th, 2015Categories: Child CustodyComments Off on How to Get A Child Custody Agreement Modified
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!
About the Author: Marco Brown
Marco C. Brown was named Utah’s Outstanding Family Law Lawyer of the Year in 2015. He graduated with distinction from the University of Nebraska College of Law in 2007 and is currently the managing partner of Brown Family Law, LLC.
Contact Us – We Are Here to Help You

Schedule a time to talk with us – we are here to help you. When you meet with your attorney, we will go over your entire case, your children, your money and everything else that’s important to you. Our goal is to remove the fear associated with divorce by protecting your money and maximizing your time with your kids, all within 3-6 months. We look forward to meeting with you!

Call us 24/7 at 801-685-9999 to Speak with a Live Representative
Get A Legal Consultation With An Experienced Utah Attorney
Your privacy is 100% guaranteed, your information will never be sold or shared.

While this website provides general information, it does not constitute divorce advice. The best way to get guidance on your specific divorce issue is to contact a lawyer. To schedule a divorce consultation with an attorney, please call or complete the intake form above.

The use of the Internet (or this form) for communication with the firm (or any individual member of the firm) does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.