I Think my Ex Is Abusing my Child; What Should I Do?

One of the greatest fears any parent has is that their child will be abused, either physically or sexually.

When that abuse comes from an ex, it makes things even worse because that person has ready access to his or her victim — i.e., your child.

So, what should you do if you suspect your ex is physically or sexually abusing your child? Here are some tips and ideas:

  1. Be sure before you allege abuse.

Look, you don’t want to cry wolf about this sort of thing. I’ve been involved in countless cases in which one parent makes repeated, unfounded allegations of sexual or physical abuse. It never goes well for that person. They can lose custody and parent-time.

If there is no evidence to support an allegation of abuse, a judge will likely see you as (1) a liar, or (2) an opportunist. Please, don’t let that happen.

Also, these allegations are very serious and can ruin people’s lives, even if they are found to be false. That’s not good for your child if one parent’s life is in shambles.

Be sure before you make an allegation.

  1. Call the police or the Utah Division of Child and Family Service (a.k.a., Utah Child Protective Services).

This is where things begin. If you truly believe abuse has occurred, and you have proof it has, call the police or The Division of Child and Family Services (DCFS). They will initiate an abuse investigation.

Often, if you call the police first, they will call DCFS and let DCFS handle the investigation. This is because DCFS has specialized methods and training for these types of investigations.

Don’t wait too long to make a call once you have made the decision to do so. The longer you wait, the less likely an investigation will be taken seriously, and the less likely it will turn up abuse.

If an investigation comes back supported for child abuse, DCFS may take action against the abusing parent. That action can range from a safety plan, to removing the child from that parent’s care. No one’s really sure what DCFS will do in any given situation. The police may also become involved again and bring charges.

  1. Get your child some counseling.

It’s often a very good idea to get your child psychological counseling.

This can do a few things: (1) it can provide your child with the help and support necessary to overcome the abuse suffered (this is, by far, the most important function of counseling); (2) it can uncover the full extent of the abuse; and (3) it can provide additional evidence regarding abuse, if any has occurred.

  1. Talk with an attorney to discuss your options.

You should sit down with a good Utah divorce and child custody attorney to discuss your options.

If the investigation comes back showing abuse, then you will have a few options to discuss and choose from. If it doesn’t, then you’ll need to see how to approach the court with your concerns. A good attorney will be able to do this. This isn’t something you want to try your hand at alone.

Published On: August 31st, 2017Categories: Child Custody, Domestic Violence, Protective OrdersComments Off on I Think my Ex Is Abusing my Child; What Should I Do?
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!
About the Author: Marco Brown
Marco C. Brown was named Utah’s Outstanding Family Law Lawyer of the Year in 2015. He graduated with distinction from the University of Nebraska College of Law in 2007 and is currently the managing partner of Brown Family Law, LLC.
Contact Us – We Are Here to Help You

Schedule a time to talk with us – we are here to help you. When you meet with your attorney, we will go over your entire case, your children, your money and everything else that’s important to you. Our goal is to remove the fear associated with divorce by protecting your money and maximizing your time with your kids, all within 3-6 months. We look forward to meeting with you!

Call us 24/7 at 801-685-9999 to Speak with a Live Representative
Get A Legal Consultation With An Experienced Utah Attorney
Your privacy is 100% guaranteed, your information will never be sold or shared.

While this website provides general information, it does not constitute divorce advice. The best way to get guidance on your specific divorce issue is to contact a lawyer. To schedule a divorce consultation with an attorney, please call or complete the intake form above.

The use of the Internet (or this form) for communication with the firm (or any individual member of the firm) does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.