If I Owe Back Alimony and I’m Remarried, Can my Ex Take my New Spouse’s Property or Money?

You divorced a few years back, and you’ve moved on with your life and remarried. Good for you.

Now, you’ve run across some hard times (e.g., lost a job, got injured) and you’re behind on your alimony.

Usually, this is a problem with an easy fix: you pay a bit more over time until you’re caught up. It’s not ideal, but it’s pretty straightforward.

The complication you face is your new spouse. How might this back alimony affect her/him? Can your ex take your new spouse’s money or property?

Put more directly: can your ex raid your new spouse’s bank account, take your new spouse’s tax return, or put a lien on your new spouse’s home?

And the Answer Is?

The answer is, let’s say, nuanced.

One thing is pretty much a lock: if your name is not on your new spouse’s asset (e.g., car, home, bank account, etc.), then your ex can’t get to it.

So, for example, if you live in a home with your new spouse and you’re not on the mortgage or the title, then you really don’t have anything to worry about.

Likewise, if you don’t share bank accounts with your new spouse, there’s not much of a way for your ex to get at the bank accounts.

Oh, and your ex can’t garnish your new spouse’s wages. Yours, yes, your new spouse’s, no.

When It Gets Complicated

When this get complicated is if your name is one your new spouse’s assets.

For instance, if you and your new spouse buy a home together, that asset is half yours, which means your half is open to your ex putting a lien on it in order to secure payment.

Same for really any other asset you have your name on. Bank accounts, investments, cars, tax returns (there’s a form your new spouse can fill out to keep her portion of the tax return, but it’s a pain and things take a long time to sort out because it’s the IRS), etc. All these things can be liened, taken, or garnished if your ex gets a judgment against you.

Because of this, my rule of thumb is: unless you want to put your new spouse’s money and assets at risk, keep things separate.

This is not an ideal solution, I realize.

In fact, it’s so not ideal that almost no one does it. Just realize that if you hold assets and monies jointly with your new spouse, you are potentially putting your new spouse’s stuff at risk.

Easiest Solution

Of course, the easiest solution is to keep current on your alimony. But, if you think you may get behind and you want to keep your new spouse 100% safe, hold all assets and monies separately.

Published On: March 7th, 2017Categories: AlimonyComments Off on If I Owe Back Alimony and I’m Remarried, Can my Ex Take my New Spouse’s Property or Money?
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!
About the Author: Marco Brown
Marco C. Brown was named Utah’s Outstanding Family Law Lawyer of the Year in 2015. He graduated with distinction from the University of Nebraska College of Law in 2007 and is currently the managing partner of Brown Family Law, LLC.
Contact Us – We Are Here to Help You

Schedule a time to talk with us – we are here to help you. When you meet with your attorney, we will go over your entire case, your children, your money and everything else that’s important to you. Our goal is to remove the fear associated with divorce by protecting your money and maximizing your time with your kids, all within 3-6 months. We look forward to meeting with you!

Call us 24/7 at 801-685-9999 to Speak with a Live Representative
Get A Legal Consultation With An Experienced Utah Attorney
Your privacy is 100% guaranteed, your information will never be sold or shared.

While this website provides general information, it does not constitute divorce advice. The best way to get guidance on your specific divorce issue is to contact a lawyer. To schedule a divorce consultation with an attorney, please call or complete the intake form above.

The use of the Internet (or this form) for communication with the firm (or any individual member of the firm) does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.