My Husband Threatened to Stop Paying Bills if I File for Divorce; Can he Do that?

There’s almost nothing scarier than being without money.

You can’t pay the mortgage. You can’t feed the kids. You can’t do anything.

Controlling husbands know this, and they’ll use that fear to control their wives.

Usually, it happens like this: wife tells husband she wants a divorce; husband threatens her, saying if she leaves or files for divorce, he’ll cut her off from the money and she and the kids won’t have anything.

It’s all about control, and it works.

Lots of women stay with their husbands just because they’re scared about not having any money if they leave.

I can’t tell you how many women relate this story to me on every week.

So, can your husband cut you off and stop paying if you file for divorce?

The answer is yes and no.

Yes: if your husband makes all the money, then he can keep the money from you by redirecting his paycheck to an account you’re not on.

Now, this doesn’t actually happen that often. Most husbands are more talk than action, and they don’t cut their wives and children off.

(Note: this possibility, while rare, is why I tell wives, when they know they’re about to file for divorce, to take 50% of the money in the joint bank accounts. That way they have some money set aside in case their husbands do cut them off.)

No: your husband really can’t cut you off from marital money.

If you file for divorce and your husband stops giving you and the kids money, stops paying bills, etc., he will get crucified in court.

It will negatively affect him for the rest of the case, and engaging in this sort of behavior will often mean he’ll end up with less custody and parent-time.

If he cuts you off, you’ll be able to get a hearing with the court quickly and start receiving temporary alimony, temporary child support, and payment on the bills.

In conclusion, yes, your husband can cut you off, but it will backfire on him in court and actually advantage you in the end.

Call Brown Family Law

If you find yourself facing a Utah divorce, please call 801.685.9999 for an in-person consultation, or use our online scheduling tool.

Published On: April 8th, 2022Categories: DebtComments Off on My Husband Threatened to Stop Paying Bills if I File for Divorce; Can he Do that?
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!
About the Author: Marco Brown
Marco C. Brown was named Utah’s Outstanding Family Law Lawyer of the Year in 2015. He graduated with distinction from the University of Nebraska College of Law in 2007 and is currently the managing partner of Brown Family Law, LLC.
Contact Us – We Are Here to Help You

Schedule a time to talk with us – we are here to help you. When you meet with your attorney, we will go over your entire case, your children, your money and everything else that’s important to you. Our goal is to remove the fear associated with divorce by protecting your money and maximizing your time with your kids, all within 3-6 months. We look forward to meeting with you!

Call us 24/7 at 801-685-9999 to Speak with a Live Representative
Get A Legal Consultation With An Experienced Utah Attorney
Your privacy is 100% guaranteed, your information will never be sold or shared.

While this website provides general information, it does not constitute divorce advice. The best way to get guidance on your specific divorce issue is to contact a lawyer. To schedule a divorce consultation with an attorney, please call or complete the intake form above.

The use of the Internet (or this form) for communication with the firm (or any individual member of the firm) does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.