My Spouse Won’t Pay Alimony; What Can I Do? (A.K.A., How to Enforce an Utah Alimony Award)

So, you went through divorce and were awarded alimony.

That probably took some doing since no one wants to pay alimony. Men don’t want to pay it because they don’t want to pay their ex-wives to be their ex-wives. Women hate paying alimony to support a man they feel should get a job.

Now, despite the divorce decree that says you’re owed $X per month in alimony, your ex refuses to pay. And, provided you aren’t cohabiting or remarried, refusing to pay alimony is probably not justified.

What Can You Do?

If you find yourself in this situation, the questions become: What can I do? How can I make my ex follow the divorce decree and pay me?

While it would be nice if you could call the cops and have them tell your ex that if he doesn’t pay, he’ll go to jail, that’s not how it works.

To enforce an alimony award, you have to file a motion for contempt (known as an order to show cause).

An order to show cause, at its core, is a document that lays out (1) what was written in your divorce decree (in this situation it would be what the decree says about paying alimony), and (2) how your ex has violated your divorce decree.

You’re ex will have a chance to respond to your order to show cause. In other words, he or she will be able to explain either that alimony has been paid, or why it hasn’t.

At that point, you’ll have to go before the court (usually a commissioner, sometimes a judge) at a hearing, and each of you will have the chance to discuss things with the court.

If, during the hearing, you prove your ex hasn’t paid, the Court has a wide array of punishments at its disposal to force payment. (To read a full list of those possible punishments, read here.)

The most common punishment includes requiring your ex to pay the attorney fees you paid for bringing the order to show cause.

When Should You File an Order to Show Cause?

People often come to me when they aren’t getting alimony and ask, “When should I file an order to show cause?”

I wish I could tell people to file the moment they aren’t paid on time, but it’s not that simple.

Since you have to pay an attorney to file an order to show cause (even though you may get all your attorney fees back in the end), you shouldn’t do it when your ex owes you $500. It just doesn’t make sense at that low a number.

I usually counsel people to wait until your ex is $2500-$4000 behind on alimony. At that point, it makes sense to spend the money hiring an attorney. That and an arrearage that large shows the court there’s a longstanding pattern of not paying (which means the court will be more likely to hand down harsher punishments).

Published On: March 4th, 2017Categories: AlimonyComments Off on My Spouse Won’t Pay Alimony; What Can I Do? (A.K.A., How to Enforce an Utah Alimony Award)
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!
About the Author: Marco Brown
Marco C. Brown was named Utah’s Outstanding Family Law Lawyer of the Year in 2015. He graduated with distinction from the University of Nebraska College of Law in 2007 and is currently the managing partner of Brown Family Law, LLC.
Contact Us – We Are Here to Help You

Schedule a time to talk with us – we are here to help you. When you meet with your attorney, we will go over your entire case, your children, your money and everything else that’s important to you. Our goal is to remove the fear associated with divorce by protecting your money and maximizing your time with your kids, all within 3-6 months. We look forward to meeting with you!

Call us 24/7 at 801-685-9999 to Speak with a Live Representative
Get A Legal Consultation With An Experienced Utah Attorney
Your privacy is 100% guaranteed, your information will never be sold or shared.

While this website provides general information, it does not constitute divorce advice. The best way to get guidance on your specific divorce issue is to contact a lawyer. To schedule a divorce consultation with an attorney, please call or complete the intake form above.

The use of the Internet (or this form) for communication with the firm (or any individual member of the firm) does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.