My Wife Wants to Take the Kids and Leave the State; Should I Let her Move?

You’ve been having problems in your marriage for a while now.

You’ve talked about divorce, but you don’t want it to happen, and your wife says she doesn’t either.

Then, one day, she says she needs space. She wants to take the kids and go live near her parents (it’s almost always near the parents).

You don’t want to upset her because you’re afraid that may bring on divorce, but you don’t want your kids to go with her.

Do you let her leave the state?

Let’s think this through.

In my experience, if a wife leaves and takes the kids with her, there’s a low probably she’s coming back.

In other words, if she leaves, your marriage is most likely over, you just haven’t filed the papers yet.

And if she moves to another state with the kids and doesn’t come back, you’re probably not getting much time with your kids when you do divorce.

Why? Because she holds all the cards.

After 3–6 months in the new state, your wife can file for divorce. You’ll be stuck trying to defend against a divorce in another state hundreds or thousands of miles away. That’s not a recipe for success.

That and if your kids are gone long, the court will let the kids stay with your wife full-time.

That means you’ll see your kids, on average, about three times per year. Usually around Thanksgiving/Christmas, spring break, and part of the summer.

So, in the end, it’s not a good idea to let your wife leave with the kids.

If you want to have your kids with you 50/50, or even if you want to see your kids often, you need to find a way to keep your wife in Utah.

Depending on your situation, that may mean filing for divorce.

Once you file for divorce, the court will very likely keep the kids in Utah until you and your wife are done with the divorce process.

Keeping the kids in the state gives you leverage to negotiate a good parent-time and custody schedule. You’ll be able to see your kids often, not just three times per year.

Bottom line: don’t let her move away with the kids.

Call Brown Family Law

If you find yourself facing a Utah divorce, please call 801.685.9999 for an in-person consultation, or use our online scheduling tool.

Published On: October 21st, 2019Categories: Child CustodyComments Off on My Wife Wants to Take the Kids and Leave the State; Should I Let her Move?
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!
About the Author: Marco Brown
Marco C. Brown was named Utah’s Outstanding Family Law Lawyer of the Year in 2015. He graduated with distinction from the University of Nebraska College of Law in 2007 and is currently the managing partner of Brown Family Law, LLC.
Contact Us – We Are Here to Help You

Schedule a time to talk with us – we are here to help you. When you meet with your attorney, we will go over your entire case, your children, your money and everything else that’s important to you. Our goal is to remove the fear associated with divorce by protecting your money and maximizing your time with your kids, all within 3-6 months. We look forward to meeting with you!

Call us 24/7 at 801-685-9999 to Speak with a Live Representative
Get A Legal Consultation With An Experienced Utah Attorney
Your privacy is 100% guaranteed, your information will never be sold or shared.

While this website provides general information, it does not constitute divorce advice. The best way to get guidance on your specific divorce issue is to contact a lawyer. To schedule a divorce consultation with an attorney, please call or complete the intake form above.

The use of the Internet (or this form) for communication with the firm (or any individual member of the firm) does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.