How Do I Get Guardianship of my Parent?

The circle of life is a funny thing. When we’re children, our parents seem invincible. They take care of us, teach us, and know everything. When we grow up and our parents age, however, things change. Eventually, those same parents who took care of us need taking care of. And sometimes, when parents suffer from dementia or other debilitating conditions that render them mentally and physically incapacitated, a guardianship is necessary.

Guardianship is a legal status that allows one person to make decisions for another person, even without that person’s consent. Guardians have a lot of power and authority. They can make decisions regarding money, housing, medical care, end-of-life decisions, etc. Because so much power is granted under a guardianship, courts are cautious to grant them.

To obtain a guardianship, you must prove essentially two things:

  1. The person over whom you are seeking guardianship is incapacitated.
  2. You are a proper person to act as guardian.

First, let’s discuss incapacity for a moment. Incapacity is a legal term, and is defined in Utah law:

“Incapacitated” or “incapacity” is measured by functional limitations and means a judicial determination after proof by clear and convincing evidence that an adult’s ability to do the following is impaired to the extent that the individual lacks the ability, even with appropriate technological assistance, to meet the essential requirements for financial protection or physical health, safety, or self-care:

(a) receive and evaluate information;
(b) make and communicate decisions; or
(c) provide for necessities such as food, shelter, clothing, health care, or safety.

Utah Code § 75-5-1. What this means in real life is a person is incapacitated if he or she is unable to do basic things to make rational decisions, properly care for himself or herself, or provide basic financial care.

(When it comes to children seeking guardianship of a parent, the most common situation is something like this: dad has dementia or Alzheimer’s and can no longer care for himself, nor can he handle money and pay bills. Without someone to help in this situation, dad will not be able to adequately care for himself.)

Incapacity is usually proven by obtaining a letter from a person’s doctor stating the person is incapacitated and needs a guardian. Most doctors are happy to write such a letter if their patient needs it.

The Court also prefers to receive psychological testing showing a person is suffering from a psychological disability. Sometimes, this isn’t in the cards. If it isn’t, then multiple doctor letters (or affidavits from people who can testify to incapacity) may be necessary to establish incapacity.

Second, you have to prove you are a proper person to be a guardian. Utah law (Utah Code, Section 75-5-311) specifies who has priority in these types of situations. What it says is priority starts with who the incapacitated person has already designated (in a will or living trust) to act as guardian, and then moves to the incapacitated person’s spouse, then to the person’s children. Since spouses and children request about 95% of guardianships, there really isn’t a problem proving someone is a proper person to be a guardian.

Assuming you can prove what is required to receive guardianship, there are a couple other procedural things to keep in mind.

When you request guardianship of a parent, an independent lawyer will be assigned to your parent. This attorney will review the evidence of incapacity and meet with your parent to ensure he or she is, in fact, incapacitated. This attorney will also ensure you are a proper person to act as guardian.

And when guardianship is filed, the court will schedule a hearing and send out notice to all interested parties (e.g., spouse, children, etc.). At the hearing, your parent’s attorney will give a report to the court and state whether he or she believes a guardianship is necessary and in your parent’s best interest. The court will also ask if there is anyone who disagrees with the guardianship. If everything goes well and there are no objections, the court will grant the guardianship and you will receive paperwork proving you are now the guardian.

One last thing, if you have a parent who is no longer able to care for himself or herself because of mental or physical incapacity, please, look at helping your mom or dad by obtaining guardianship. It’s never easy asking for guardianship of a parent, but in many situations it’s necessary to ensure parents can finish out their lives in dignity.

Protect Your Money And Your Family

We remove fear associated with divorce, protect your money & maximize time with your kids!

We're here to help. Let's determine your best options.

Call Us 24//7 at 801-685-9999 to Speak with a Live Representative

Utah Divorce FAQs
Top 100 Divorce Blog
What Clients Are Saying…
Brown Family Law
Based on 803 reviews
They handled my case with the highest degree of professionalism and integrity and made every effort to be efficient and transparent with me throughout the whole process. I was told that they were the best as far as family law is concerned and I believe that praise was fully justified.
Amber McFee is always professional and great to work with. Being opposing counsel by nature is adversarial, but Amber is professional in approach while effectively advocating for her clients. She will treat you right!
Response from the owner: Thank you, Jonathan.
Overall from start to finish the best experience to have dealing with a time that is difficult.Andrew Christensen is very professional and out going to make this situation the best it could be and worked hard to make sure the divorce was fair for me.Over all, this firm really cares and treats you as a family or friend and just not a client, down to Marco Brown taking time to see how I was doing and offer to help in any way possible during my divorce while I was there for my first initial meeting.I would highly recommend anyone that has to go through a divorce to really reach out to the Brown Family Law firm and see for your self the experience I was able to receive from a top notch law firm.
Response from the owner: Devin, thank you for the kind words. Andrew appreciated the opportunity to help you with your situation.
Sophie was very helpful and explains the process and fees. Thank you!
Response from the owner: Corey, thank you for the kind words. Glad we could help.
Dani always kept me updated and has great communication skills.
Response from the owner: Thank you, Sofia.
Dani was extremely helpful and always responsive.
Response from the owner: Glad Dani did well for you.
My experience with Brown Family Law is a positive one. I highly recommend them. This firm has very good communication with their clients. Attorney Paul Waldron represents me and I’m very happy with the experience. My questions and concerns are always answered quickly and respectfully. I’m grateful to have Mr. Waldron and Brown Family Law in my corner during this difficult time for my family.
Response from the owner: Jodie, glad we were able to communicate with you so effectively and quickly. Thank you for your kind words.
I recently used Clay in a divorce case and could not have been happier. He was efficient, knowledgeable, and made me feel like I was his only client. The process was easy and he was always there to reassure me or help me with decisions. I would highly recommend Brown Family Law.
Response from the owner: Thank you, Mendi.
Dani excelled as a paralegal, providing crucial support with exceptional skills!
Response from the owner: Glad Dani did such a good job for you.
Thank you So much
Response from the owner: You're welcome. Thank you for choosing us to help you.