My Spouse Locked Me out of the House; what Can I do?

It’s over, and your spouse asked you to move out of the house last week.

You said no, either because (1) you don’t have money to get another place; or (2) you have kids, and you realize leaving the house is not a good idea if you want 50/50 custody.

Either way, you’ve stayed.

Then you get home from work and your key doesn’t work.

Your spouse changed the locks on you.

This story happens more often than you would think.

What can you do?

First, let me start by saying your spouse can’t evict you from you own home, and this includes changing the locks.

So, the house is still yours and you can still live there. You’re not breaking any laws by getting back in the house.

Second, logistics. How do you get back in the house without keys?

Don’t break anything (you’ll just have to fix it later). What you should do is call a locksmith and have him come to your house and make you a new set of keys.

Locksmiths know the drill, so you should be able to find one that will help pretty easily.

Tip: it’s best to have the locksmith come over when your spouse isn’t there. You don’t want any unneeded confrontations.

Call Brown Family Law

If you find yourself facing a Utah divorce, please call 801.685.9999 for an in-person consultation, or use our online scheduling tool.

Published On: October 9th, 2019Categories: Division of PropertyComments Off on My Spouse Locked Me out of the House; what Can I do?
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!
About the Author: Marco Brown
Marco C. Brown was named Utah’s Outstanding Family Law Lawyer of the Year in 2015. He graduated with distinction from the University of Nebraska College of Law in 2007 and is currently the managing partner of Brown Family Law, LLC.
Contact Us – We Are Here to Help You

Schedule a time to talk with us – we are here to help you. When you meet with your attorney, we will go over your entire case, your children, your money and everything else that’s important to you. Our goal is to remove the fear associated with divorce by protecting your money and maximizing your time with your kids, all within 3-6 months. We look forward to meeting with you!

Call us 24/7 at 801-685-9999 to Speak with a Live Representative
Get A Legal Consultation With An Experienced Utah Attorney
Your privacy is 100% guaranteed, your information will never be sold or shared.

While this website provides general information, it does not constitute divorce advice. The best way to get guidance on your specific divorce issue is to contact a lawyer. To schedule a divorce consultation with an attorney, please call or complete the intake form above.

The use of the Internet (or this form) for communication with the firm (or any individual member of the firm) does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.